The project ‘Junge Roma Aktiv’ was carried out in close cooperation with Amaro Drom e.V. and had two specific goals:
- Mobilising young Romani immigrants to make the most of their opportunities to develop sustainable life prospects in Germany.
- Raising awareness and to sensitize German society in order to make persons question and overcome their prejudices and resentments towards Romani.
- training leaders and mentors to help young Romani integrate at school and in apprenticeships
- holding joint events with youth migration services and other local institutions, to introduce young Romani to advisory services able to help with questions about school and vocational training
- using disseminators’ links to Romani youth organisations to strengthen these, and establish them as valued local network partners in the transition between school and professional life
- holding events to overcome prejudice, resentments and discrimination to raise awareness in society about the circumstances of young Romani
- launching the OBS’s @zubi.net website to present the project in social media; young Romani could use the platform to socialise informally with their peer group, who were able to give them advice on questions about school and career
- participants were additionally able to profit from the OBS’s contacts with training companies
Junge Roma Aktiv was run by local partners in Greven/Steinfurt/Münster, Düsseldorf, Cologne and Berlin. Motivated Romani were selected to be disseminators and mentors who, after the appropriate qualification, sought to build dialogue with the young Romani’s environment in order to reduce the resentments with which they are confronted. At the same time, they mobilised young Romani to showcase their interests and skills and seize on opportunities for education, apprenticeships and work.
The project also worked closely with the Jugendmigrationsdiensten (youth migration services) in Cologne, Düsseldorf, Greven, Steinfurt, Münster and Berlin.
Otto Benecke Stiftung e.V. | Kennedyallee 105-107 | 53175 Bonn | Tel: 02 28 / 81 63-0 | mail: email@example.com